Access Discussions tool settings
Do one of the following:
- On the Discussions List page, click Settings.
- Click Edit Course on the navbar, click Discussions, then click Settings on the Discussions List page.
Personal settings control the way you view posts inside a topic. These settings apply to all course offerings wherever you access discussions, but do not affect other users.
The following display settings are available:
- Always show the Discussions List pane Use this setting to show or hide the list of topics in the View Topic and View Thread pages. Hide it to save space or show it to switch between topics quickly.
Default View The following default views are available:
Note If you do not see this option, your organization may not have enabled Grid View and will default to Reading View. The Reading View is the only available view if you access a post via the Content tool.
- Grid View The Grid View resembles a traditional email reader where each post’s subject, author, and date appear in a list without the full text of the post. To read a post, click the subject; the full text displays in a separate area.
- Reading View The Reading View shows the full text of all posts in a single view. You read posts by selecting a thread. You can then scroll through the page without having to select posts from the thread and read them one at a time.
Use this setting to automatically include the original post in reply by default when composing a response.
Grid View Settings
Default Threading Style The following threading styles are available:
- Threaded Groups posts together with their replies.
- Unthreaded Sorts posts by author, date, subject, Post ID, or average rating.
Display Settings The following display settings are available:
- Show the preview pane Select this setting to open all posts in a preview pane, or clear it to open all posts in pop-up windows.
- Show the search bar Use the search bar to search for posts. You can also show or hide the search bar by clicking Show Search or Hide Search from the More Actions button inside a topic.
Post Fields to Display You can choose to display the following fields:
- Post ID Use this setting to see user ID numbers when viewing posts.
- Org Defined ID Use this setting to see user ID numbers beside author names.
Character Limits Use this setting to display a limited number of characters of each post’s subject to save screen space. Select the check box and enter the maximum Subject Characters to Display.